About Holt
Holt On The Map Print

If you need to know where we are in the world or want to see a map of the village,

go to Google maps.

The community of Holt is more than just the village. It extends to the surrounding area and includes the extensive and historical 'allotments' managed by Holt Town Trust on behalf of the community.

See the map below for the boundaries of Holt.

Read more...
 
About Holt Village Print

Holt is situated in North East Wales, part of the Welsh Marches, and sits on the banks of the River Dee. The Dee at this point marks the boundary between Wales and England and Holt Bridge was an important border crossing for centuries.

In 1282 Holt (also known as Villa Leonis or Lyons) was founded as an English town when lands were granted to John de Warrenne who built Holt Castle following the failed rebellion of Llywelyn ap Gruffydd.

Over the years, history has left its mark on the village in many forms including holes in the door of St. Chad's church, caused by musket shot during the English Civil War.

Further information can be found on the Wikipedia website.

 

We have reproduced below and artilce by P.H.W. Booth, M.A., F.R.Hist.S., given with his kind permission.

 

Read more...
 
Holt Facts 2011 Print

Households

There are 1,451 households in the village (up from 1,136 in 2001).

74.1% of the population are owner / occupiers, 9.8% rented from social landlord and 16.1% other rented
The average household size is 2.45 persons.

Detached houses make up 46.2% of households; 27.5% are semi-detached; 17.9% terraced and 4.3% are flats.

Only 1.4% have no central heating and 11.1% have no car.

Population and age structure

The total population in the ward of Holt has grown as follows:
1991 = 2,026
2001 = 2,828 (40% increase)
2011 = 3,587 (27% increase)

Total population = 3,587
Of these, 356 speak, read and write in Welsh. 2,182 have no knowledge of Welsh at all.

Read more...
 
Holt Bridge Print

From the paper written by P.H.W. Booth, M.A., F.R.Hist.S., he calculates that the bridge over the Dee at Holt was completed in 1353.

Built of local red sandstone in regular courses, it consists of nine arches. The third arch from the Welsh side has two arch rings, and was the location of the gatehouse and drawbridge which defended the town of Holt. This arch was known as the Lady's arch as it was the site of a chapel dedicated to Our Lady.

Read more...
 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>

Page 1 of 2