Holt Bridge Print

From the paper written by P.H.W. Booth, M.A., F.R.Hist.S., he calculates that the bridge over the Dee at Holt was completed in 1353.

Built of local red sandstone in regular courses, it consists of nine arches. The third arch from the Welsh side has two arch rings, and was the location of the gatehouse and drawbridge which defended the town of Holt. This arch was known as the Lady's arch as it was the site of a chapel dedicated to Our Lady.

The bridge was of strategic importance during the Civil War. A fierce battle was fought here in 1643 which resulted in the capture of both bridge and town by Parliamentarian forces, though the castle remained in Royalist hands.

Holt Bridge is a scheduled ancient monument.

 

Useful Links

Our Heritage Transport

Farndon Local History Pages

The National Gallery

Bridge of Screams