St. Chads Church Holt Print

The Parish Church of St. Chad originally dates from the late 13th Century but was substantially remodelled in the Perpendicular style under the auspices of Sir William Stanley, who held the lordship of Bromfield from 1483 until his execution in 1495.

The very fine octagonal font can be dated to about 1493 by its heraldry, which records two centuries of the lordship of Bromfield.

Numerous musket ball holes in its walls and pillars are telling evidence of battles fought over the church during the Civil War.

The roof, together with vaulting in the tower space date from a restoration of 1871-3. The present clock and chimes were placed in the tower in 1902 to mark the coronation of King Edward VII but were only converted to electricity in 1980. The bells, which date from 1714, were restored in 1999 after being out of use for more than ten years.

A decorative iron gate and railings dating from about 1816 marks the entrance to the Church Green. A sandstone sundial shaft, possibly a Roman column, mounted on concentric stone steps may be found to the south of the church.

St. Chad's Church is part of the Open Churches Network, and may be visited on Tuesdays and Wednesdays between 1030 and 1430 from mid-September to mid-April.

 

Useful Links

The Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust Wrexham Churches Survey